What makes The Tapi Project stand out from the rest!
Tapi Project is not just a regular band that you would come across, with a pinch of jazz in their hindi folk songs, the band stands out in their genre. Here's a small conversation with Yogi, the Guitarist, lyricist and the founding member of the band.
1. Though The Tapi Project is quite an obvious name coming for a band hailing from Gujarat but how did you guys come to this name?
Tapi song gave direction to the album. Tapi song is our prayer and appreciation towards rivers of the world and thats how the entire album has evolved. It felt natural to keep this name, keeping the inspiration in it.
2. How has your distinct sound evolved from the time your band started off their music journey?
We call ourselves as "Urban Folk", we write our own songs, the songs tell stories and we take our instruments and sing it heart out. That is how the sound developed. And its honest, heartfelt and flowing like a river.
3. What changes have you seen in the Indian Indie scene over the past few years?
There are many opportunities for bands than before and it gives a great opportunity for the culture to evolve. It is an encouraging scene.
4. If you would like to change one thing about the music scene in India, what would that be?
We cant judge the scene or advice a change but, we would like to say that honest expression of what you feel in heart should remain as core motive, whatever genre or style you have.
5. What is the plan for 2017?
We played in two major festivals this year, in Malaysia and Jodhpur and toured Hong kong and played in best of jazz clubs of hong kong. We plan to tour Europe this season and play few more festivals. We plan to travel and spread our music. Also, a new album by year end is on the cards.