Displays a set number of articles from a category based on date or random selection. Help
Folk music or traditional music is transmitted from one generation to another. It's origin maybe unknown to some, but it's significance can be clearly seen in each and every occasion. But, under the influence of pop culture, we're kind of losing it and the popularity of folk music has become like a sunken ship. However, there are some bands that act as a buoyant force for the traditional music with their songs. Here’s a list of 8 Indian bands working with folk music:
Famous for his awesome performances both in and outside India, and for spreading a positive energy through his music, Raghu Dixit is the man of the musical match. He's an unconventional singer and a part of the multilingual folk band ‘The Raghu Dixit Project’. The band produces effortless musical tracks that release a vibe of freshness and positivity. They blend traditional Indian music with western and this uniqueness is the reason for their popularity.
Folk music in rock version is how the band Swarathma is hitting the heights of popularity. With a steady growth since their inception, the band has introduced a lot of changes in their tracks to become a huge success and one of the leading folk-rock music bands in India. The band is unique for spreading social awareness through their music. ‘Pyaasi’, ,Patte Saare’, ‘Ee Bhoomi’, etc, are all songs that express the eco-consciousness of the band. Their music is energetic and carry the legacy of traditional and cultural music. Their recent release ‘Raah-e-Fakiri’, is a must have on your playlist.
Formed in the year 2004, Advaita (non duality) means experiencing anyone and everyone as “One”. This New Delhi based band is popular for beautifully expressing eight distinct musical sensibilities that dissolve into one another effortlessly. With a feature on both MTV Coke Studio and MTV Unplugged, the band released their debut album ‘Grounded in Space’ in 2009 and has since won several awards and recognition for their style of fusion music.
Founded by Pop-rock based singer Kailash Kher, the band Kailasa has won hearts through its unique blend of Sufi, Western and medieval Indian music. They make use of classical Indian instruments to ensure the authenticity of the folk hue. One can easily decode the mention of a deity or a loved one in their song as that's what the songs are usually about. ‘Teri Deewani’ and 'Babam Bam’ are two really popular and enticing songs by the band.
5. Papon and The East India Company
While the name may sound a little British, the band originated in the heart of Delhi and is an electric folk-fusion band. With the famous playback singer Papon leading the band, the outfit experiments with their styles and brings about new tastes of music. Now based in Mumbai, the band has been performing at all the major fests across India and has become immensely popular in the Indian folk arena
Tetseo Sisters is a group of gorgeous ladies hitting the scale of popularity with their vocal folk music of Nagaland. A quarter of four sisters, they have brought a severe change in the folk music scene with their devotion to art and culture. The band is notable for their appearance in Tedtalk and their one of the many stellar performances including the recital of National Anthem at the opening ceremony of the Pro Kabbadi League Season 1. With back to back performances at the Hornbill Festival, and the Best Folk/Fusion Act award at the first ever Indihut Music Awards, the sisters are ruling the entire mainland of India with their traditional vocals.
Formed in 2013, the Electro Classical Fusion band Samved’s musical style is a blend of upbeat Industrial Electronica and Hindustani Classical. They are among the few bands to use Sarangi as a lead instrument in their music. Ever since the release of their debut album ‘RlungTa’, the band has collaborated with famous musicians, winning awards and ruling millions of heart through their soul soothing and heart warming music.
8. Mame Khan
Singing runs in the blood of Manganiyar singer Mame Khan. He has a unique voice and his name finds a special mention in the folk music circuits. From traditional wedding songs to welcome songs for a newly born child, Mame Khan has a song for every occasion, especially the happy ones. His songs find its lyrics from Sufi poets of Sindhi and Rajasthan. His voice has won hearts not only in India but abroad too.
That’s our list of few amazing folk bands that are keeping the folk music alive in India. Listen to each band and tell us which one’s your personal favourite? Stay Indie and Stay Musical.
So, you and your team have forged a sublime composition which is ready to awestruck the listeners all around the globe. You’re standing still when suddenly, a feeling of ecstasy passes through your mind, and you start envisioning yourself singing before thousands of your fans; shouting and screaming out your name. But wait! Is it that elementary to tap the newer audience? I mean those pop culture movies mostly nag on creating a great piece of artwork while neglecting all the other factors, so, it must be true?
While it is verifiable and well-illuminated to stay grounds with your genre and keep on serving good music, it is also true that not putting enough efforts to gain more audience will distance you from the success you aspire. Doesn’t matter what kind of an artist/band are you, if you don’t rightly get your music to a newer audience; you’re bound to plunge in this race to the top. Promoting and enticing newer audience to listen to your creation, is as paramount as, creating your own unique music to win the heart’s over.
Independent artists/bands today have more opportunities to gain new audience than ever before. Now, you don’t need any assistance from a huge label to put your music out there. All you need is a little persistence and a quick wit to gain more audience and be the next pop star. You can follow some suggestions below to make that dream come true-
Collaboration with other artists
Just like creation, collaboration is also an effulgent artform in itself. A collaboration is like having an additional pair of hands, ears, and brains to work out with at a cost of one. Collaborating with another artist introduces your name to a completely disparate demography, and enhances a way to creatively communicate your music to a new audience. Don’t shy away from the idea of collaboration if you wish to achieve bigger things with your music, find artist that you like; and persuade them to produce a collab with you.
Make a featured track
Think of a featured artist as a guest speaker, who never wrote the speech or did the background fact-check, but was there to deliver a small set of speech to the audience. If you’re relatively newer in this music industry, then you can get featured with some other artist to kickstart your fanbase. Or vice-versa where a more prominent band/artist agrees to get featured with a new one.
Don’t muddle this up with collaboration, as both serve a different purpose.
Using platform features
A Rise in the use of the internet has opened several doors for the artists to promote their music, and gain new fans from all over the world. There are a number of streaming platforms working towards to the bridge the gap between the artist and the audience. All you need to do is log in and be a good storyteller to make your story come across as more relatable to the audience. Not just a firm introduction to a newer audience but also creating a stable revenue source- these platforms offer it all! You can make use of platforms like SongDew, Spotify, SoundCloud, YouTube and pave your way towards a delightful musical journey.
What’s better than a streaming service with over 1 mn+ reach every month? SongDew is a platform which not only helps artists to get discovered but also provides them channels like online streaming, TV to release their original creation. With SongDewTv, you have this perfect opportunity to make your music heard by millions out there, while also earning revenue through it. All you need to do is to create an eye-catching profile, which showcases your inspirations and what you have to offer on the platter!
Time for you to act upon these few suggestions to gain more audience, and be the musician of your dreams!
Tarannum is a 4- member Acoustic Band hailing from Bengaluru. They've been in the background until now and have released a few but worthy original songs. The band has gained numerous positive responses for their music that they've been constantly releasing on various sites. The group calls itself a musical exploration journey. They've a very unique ability of showcasing emotions and experiences via their songs. It's an experimental band that is always upto something new and fresh. Earlier, they came up with originals like ‘Clean Slate’ and ‘Besudh Hua’ which received a lot of love and praise from the listeners, and now they've come up with another musical piece “Hadein”. It has been recently released and you can hear it on Songdew.
Speaking of the song, it's a musical way of describing how an ideal world should be. The band came up with this exemplary idea and has tried to make us imagine how a world would look like, if it wasn't divided by borders. The lyrics describe the similarities that we all share and how God has blessed us with everything so equally. Sitting around a bonfire, under the blissful moonlight, the group sings the story of the world we actually deserve to see. It's a very raw and light song, and one would definitely enjoy the beauty of it's simplicity. The song begins with guitars being played by Dipak Roy in the background, and then a thumping sound merging with the prominent lyrics sung by Gaurav Sarda. ‘Taaro me dube do jahan’; 'Wahi tere hisse, wahi mere hisse’ and ‘Khushnuma sa aasma’ are few of the many lyrics that try to point out the similarities between various nations and continents. The Harmonica played by Jolly Patel adds another feel to the track, while musical instruments like guitars and keyboards accompany the tunes. The percussions are stunningly handled by Ashwin Ichini, and is confluent with each and evey change in the song's dynamics. All the instruments have been exorbitantly and brilliantly played with diligence. Mugdha Saxena has added her voice in the later part of the song and it's really admirable. Her voice is very sweet and enticing, while that of Gaurav Sorda is a piercing and earthy one. Together they create an exquisite effect that adds glamour to the song's composition. The song has a warm and resonant timbre along with a steady and brisk tempo. The overall song has a very soft and invigorating background music and it’s what makes the song really relaxing and fun to hear. The lyrics seem so familiar that you will find it as a friendly recital- relatable and enlightening.
Every second of the song brings up something fresh and enlightening, and that's what makes it worth listening. Listen to it and share your valuable opinions and reviews with us.
Music industry saw a huge transition in 2018-where new artists and styles were materialized across different genres. We all witnessed some young powerful voices, especially in the Indie genre; emerge from the darkest of shades, and leave a mark in the hearts of the music aficionados out there. From top-notch rock to pop, and hip-hop to electronic, whatever your taste, 2018 has been a great year for music. This makes it almost an impossible task to pick the TOP ones, so we have garnered a list of 20 unranked foot-tapping, head-banging, heart-pounding releases that made us want more in 2018!
1) Kabir Cafe Live- Kabir CafeKabir Cafe Live, the second album from Neeraj Arya’s Kabir Cafe, is a colorful embodiment of passion and talent that spreads a wave of optimism all over the place. The classical band from Mumbai will transcend your soul to another dimension, with its neo-folk fusion music, that recites the poetries of the poet Kabir Das from the 15th century. They have made it to the top of the list because of their freshness which is sure to captivate your mind with a newly found energy. Be sure let you mind sway and enjoy this album which was recorded live. They have also collaborated with a bunch of other renowned artists to bring forth a freshly minted tone to their album.
2) Songs From A Matchbox- Raghav MeattleGuided by his gorgeous voice and composing by the motto of ‘vocals first’, Raghav Meattle has come a long way since his first appearance on reality TV show ‘The Stage’. After ruling the show with his impeccable vocals and dreamy eyes, the indie artist is back with his debut album ‘Songs From A Matchbox’. The album is about coming to terms with the realities that a musician faces in their newly set venture. Just listen to him and we are sure that your definition of catchy songs would change.
3) Cold/Mess- Prateek KuhadSaving us the from the jarring tones of most musicians today, Prateek Kuhad released his latest EP ‘Cold/Mess’. His simple but relatable music, elevated with mesmerizing symphonies and soulful voice, will take you to another time and life. The video of the Cold/Mess was released in December and went viral, striking the hearts of millions and left fans drooling.. What are you waiting for? Tune in now to listen to his EPs from the link.
4) Raah-e-Fakira - SwarathmaIf you’re into good Indian folk music and crave for meaningful lyrics, then Swarathma is the band for you. This indie-folk band grew steadily since its inception in 2002, and has been winning the hearts ever since. Their new album ‘Raah-e-fakira’ acts as a distant light in the darkest of places and will delight your ears. After a short break from the music industry, the band has managed to hit all the right notes with their latest release.
5) Believe- When Chai Met ToastPost the success of their debut EP, When Chai Met Toast ‘s second release ‘Believe’ will inspire you to follow your passion in life and fill your mind with a never give up attitude. The EP captures a journey of discovery (Khoj), finding yourself (Who are you), believing in who you are (Believe) and ends with a celebration of this feeling (Forever). So, be sure to tune into the album if you’re lost or feeling uninspired.
6) See Me Now- Monica DograAn actor, lyricist, and a singer, the multi-talented Monica Dogra is here with her new album ‘See Me Now’ to redefine the Indie pop. Her soulful voice has helped her to leave a mark on the music industry and win the hearts of many. Her peculiar music, complemented with a unique voice is enough to delight your ears, and transcend you to another time. The message accompanied through the song will surely hit you hard.
7) Hawai Jahaaz- FiddlecraftTime to fly high above the sky with the multi-genre band Fiddlecraft debut album ‘Hawai Jahaaz’. Fiddlecraft began their musical journey in 2015 and has been slowly spreading its feet all over the country. Their original music is loved by all and has risen to the ranks of top 50 bands of the country as per Sennheiser Top 50. The band has no limitations when it comes to playing music and spreads across the genre of Sufi, punk, desi, rock, and blues.
8) Don’t Be Afraid- NukaWondering what’s Nuka? Well, it’s none other than an alias of your favorite music composer Anushka Manchanda. She reinvented and relaunched herself as Nuka last year. The newly launched track, Don’t Be Afraid, is quite experimental, and has never been done before by any artist in India. In the single, she provokes you to answer some of the most thoughtful questions of life.
9) A Strange Connection - Perfect StrangersPerfect Strangers are a 6 piece rock band from Bangalore who are also the winners of the prestigious Hornbill Contest. They made their debut with a straight up fun rock album called A Strange Connection. The album is a meticulous collection of 8 tracks which are a reflection of the current society. The band is as genreless and boundary less as they get. You can find influences of rock, jazz, blues and pop in the album. The band is all set to release the video of Blow Up Doll, one of the tracks from the album on 12th Jan and we for one cannot wait.
10) Kaam Pachis- DivineRising from the streets of Mumbai, Divine quickly made his mark in the music industry and showed everyone that he’s here to stay in the game for a longer time. After his infamous track ‘Meri Gully Mein’, Kaam Pachis also went viral and was even featured in Netflix’s popular series - Sacred Games. The song shows a brute reality of Mumbai and how it’s affecting thousands living there. Tune in and listen to some of his finest lyrical work.
11) Vaaqif - The Local TrainThe Local Train and its four members are the poster children of the Indie rock genre. The rock band immaculately balances emotive, intimate lyrics with atmospheric electronics coupled with screaming guitar, composing a sound that can be heard on the loop, preferably under the starry night sky. With the bold lyrics, whispered acoustic ballads, amazing choruses, complemented with captivating piano rhythms; the band delivers its strongest artwork yet in their latest album ‘Vaaqif’.
12) Shook - The RajakumariThe queen of the streets is back with her beguiling song called Shook. Rajakumari made a splash with her first track in India. Her disarming lyrics and rugged rapping style won the hearts of both teens and adults alike. Her soulful way of crooning rap with other style is yet to be matched by other artists.
13) Chetana - Peepal TreeThe Bangalore based band Peepal Tree’s music can be described as Indian melodies sitting on funk grooves coupled with overtones of electronica. They released their album Chetana in October last year with 6 beautiful tracks. Nayi Khushi is our favourite. It will bring forth the missing ecstasy in your life and rejoice you once melodies. The perfect mix of elements that they put makes new interesting sounds. Each artist in the band brings a wealth of experience to create a fine piece of music.
14) Sunday- Avora RecordsAvora Records is a freshly minted act out of Aizawl. With strong hints of j-pop and anime in their songs, the band is a delight to all the music lovers out there. They try to infuse strong anime characters, complementing with creative music. The band released two singles this year but Sunday is something you really don’t want to miss out. Its edgy, its fun, its pastel and it is very different from what you have heard before!
15) Indoor Gharana - Indoor GharanaThis electro-fusion trio band deserves a special mention in our list. Their music is a perfect blend of authentic Hindustani voices with a fusion of modern sounds. The music that they compose is definitely going to leave an indelible imprint in your heart. Their self-titled debut album manages to hit the right chords with the fusion music lovers.
16) The Lost Cause - Dhruv VisvanathWith his second album ‘The Lost Cause’, Dhruv Visvanath has shown just how much he has improved as an artist over the years. The album was his two year-long project and promises to take you on a soulful ride that you will never forget. Listen to the album and and decipher the various nuances on your way, whilst embracing the relationships that you build in the process.
17) This Home That Home - Takar NabamFrom lonely days to a comforting best friend, Takar Nabam’s album ‘This Home That Home’ will take you on a journey filled with ups and downs and how he emerged victorious against all odds. With this album, Takar hopes that you too will overcome the toughest of challenges and find your own true victory!
18) Accept - MaheshMahesh, originally hailing from Bangalore, is a musician who draws influences from the different genres of music. Accept is the official EP by Mahesh, filled with soulful tracks and captivating lyrics. His warm vocals will console your heart and take you on a blissful journey.
19) Sunshine Dust - Sky HarbourA hard-hitting metal unit, with roots in both India and the United States, Sky harbour blossomed into one of India’s hottest new prospects. The band made its debut in 2011 and has been rocking the stage ever since. Their new album, Sunshine Dust, features rock genre, and they have called their first album in four years; a fortuitous result after bearing the loss of two core members of the band. Thanks to their agile precursors, thundering guitar, and enigmatic voice; a wave of optimism will pass through your soul.
20) Kothoma - KolomaLast but not least is Kothoma by Koloma. This five-piece folk fusion band based in Tripura is perhaps the most underrated band in the list and deserves more attention than it’s getting now. Their music is inspired by folk genre and mixed with the Tripura element in it. Their compositions are mostly in the category of romance, inspiration, and contemporary life. Tune in to listen to their second album now!
Special Mention : Sheikh Chilli - RaftaarComposed by Raftaar himself, this diss track was a direct response to an underground rap artist called Emiway. The battle between these two was the most talked about gossip in 2018, and all the tracks associated with their fight went viral as well. In total, 5 tracks were created but this one stands atop beating every other in terms of lyrics and popularity among masses.
So, these were some releases that stood above the rest because of their unique composition and hearty lyrics. What do you think of our list? Let us know your favorite ones and be sure to look out for more such amazing artists and fresh music on Songdew.com to stay ahead in the music curve. Till then, Stay Indie and Happy New Year!
You have been working diligently for the past few months, your album is articulately mixed and complemented with a beguiling soundtrack. An artist has designed a lovely cover art, perfectly portraying your inhibitions. You’re all geared up and exhilarated for the next stage until you’re intimidated by the feeling of your next album release.
There’s nothing more loathsome than feeling totally inundated by the release of your next album to the mark that it outweighs the excitement of what you may consider as your best work till date! When you’re almost ready to win people's heart over by unveiling your next album, the last thing you want is scrambling through dozens of plan to make your album successful.
While you may want to stick to your old checklist for convenience sake, you will never be able to hit the right note with it. Nothing is certain in this fast-paced world, and if you don’t wish to fall back in this rat race, then you need to get yourself updated with the latest checklist. So, if you’re feeling a little zoned out and can’t make proper plans, then it’s time to take a deep breathe and read further to know more. And remember not to rush anything!
1.) Build a presence on Social media
You can make the best music, outdoing all the talented artists out there but what’s the point if 1/3rd of the population is still unaware of what’s being offered by you? It’s clearly evident that the world is racing towards social media, with online music platforms dominating music discovery. It’s time to lay out plans for making a strong social presence, and personal interactions with your fans.
A Little Tip: Social Media is about engaging with your fans constantly and consistently. Make sure, you are actively using your profiles atleast 2 months before the release and don’t stop after it.
2.) Promote it on TV
Even though social media and digital are the buzz words these days. Nothing meets the reach of Television. With TV viewership rising at a staggering rate of 7.5% each year, even after Netflix’s arrival; this medium should top your checklist (and somehow it remains the most ignored). With a number of viewers rising to 836 million, your music is sure to hit the right music aficionado out there. With TV, your music will not be slendered to a niche audience but any of the music connoisseurs out there would be able to hear your music.
To turn your passion into a profession, Songdew launched Songdew TV that lets your music sway freely and reach the earlobes of people with a taste. Songdew TV reaches about 40 mn people, and is redefining the TV viewing experience for music lovers.
Know how you can get your next music video on TV here .
3.) Plan a launch tour
This should come as a no-brainer for all the talented folks out there. Doesn’t matter if you’re releasing a full-length album or a single soundtrack, a planned launched tour works wonders for teasing and creating excitement among masses. Focus on not just the creative part of it but also the technical part like forming a budget, finding a good venue, and all of the above; be sure to put all your heart out.
4.) Prepare a professional bio
There are no excuses here! Just like a resume defines the desired candidate, your bio will define your personality and inspiration behind your music. You should complete all your profile in all respects, (be it Social Media, Songdew or other streaming platforms) have the correct links available everywhere possible and have a complete bio - that is how people get to know you etc. You need to be a storyteller to make the audience connect with your creation, so, that they feel inspired!
5.) Know the importance of PR
A PR can make or break your career. It’s important to plan your music release before launching any album. Your PR know about the market that serves you best and will put out content according to it. They are well-versed with all the nooks and corners of the media industry and will try their best to put out your music out in front of millions. You need to understand the importance and the role they play while releasing your next album.
It’s important to attach all the strings together before putting things out in motion. Make sure to feel content with your creation, and making a sound checklist before releasing your next album.